Starting a new diet can be a daunting task, and many people often abandon their aspirations before the end of January. Thankfully, the team down at INFINITI of Gwinnett has compiled this list of diet and exercise tips to help guide you on the right track!
- Drink plenty of water - Water is a healthy alternative to beverages like sodas which means you'll drastically cut your caloric intake. Plus, if you're looking to lose weight fast, then drinking water will help suppress your appetite during meal times. Consider sugar-free flavored soda water as a healthy alternative to calorie-rich soda pop.
- Eat high-fiber foods - There are many reasons why incorporating high-fiber foods into your diet can help prevent weight gain. For example, foods high in fiber aid digestion, which promotes healthier eating patterns. Moreover, these fiber-rich foods will help you feel fuller for longer, reducing the desire to snack in between meals. There are a wide variety of foods to choose from, including wheat, corn, rice bran, and beans.
- Use smaller plates - A well-known phrase perfectly identifies the biggest problem among dieters: "We eat first with our eyes." Surrounded by huge portions of food, we are more inclined to eat more than necessary. So how can we eliminate this problem? One way is by using smaller plates during meal times because it tricks our bodies into thinking we're consuming more than we actually are.
- Cut down on alcohol - Did you know that alcohol is actually an appetite stimulant? People often enjoy an alcoholic beverage with their meals, but doing so can actually induce overeating. Alcohol itself isn't the healthiest beverage to consume when trying to diet. However, there are some ways you can still enjoy alcohol without suffering from those negative effects. For example, check to see that the alcohol you plan to purchase is low in carbohydrates. Additionally, consume alcohol at a slower pace, and try to cut back on the amount you drink overall.
- Establish a healthy eating plan - Plan out when you are going to eat and stick to that schedule as best as you can. Creating a meal plan and sticking to it can discourage the desire to snack. Establishing a healthy eating plan can keep your diet on track, allowing you to create a plan that best fits your needs.
- Cook your meals at home - One of the first things you should do if you're serious about dieting is to cut out the number of times you eat out, especially when it comes to fast food. In fact, cooking your meals at home allows you more flexibility in what you can safely consume. It also gives you the opportunity to try out healthier recipes and cook with better ingredients. Plus, it can even save you some money in the long run.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables - This may go without saying, but try to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet. These kinds of foods, like apples, bananas, and oranges, are healthier alternatives to traditional snack foods like potato chips and sugary sweets. Plus, they provide your body with important vitamins and minerals that might be lacking in your regular diet.
- Walking - If you plan to start exercising in conjunction with a new diet, then it is important that you don't start exercising right away. Since you'll be drastically cutting the number of carbohydrates you usually intake, exercise may induce light-headedness. Instead, develop a plan to start small and gradually increase how you challenge yourself. Consider beginning with something as simple as walking before you challenge yourself with something more difficult.
- Sports - If you're not big on traditional exercises like jogging, then try playing a sport. Not only will it provide you with a regular means of exercise, but you can meet different people and try something new. Sports are also fun, and there are plenty of options to choose from like football, basketball, or soccer.
- Cycling - Cycling makes for a fun alternative to walking or jogging. It also tends to be more intense than jogging which means it can help you burn more calories and get into shape faster. You can also make it a new activity to try with friends or family. Try visiting a park or bike trail to add some variety to your routine.
- Create a fitness plan - One of the first things you should do before you start exercising is to research! it is important to first find out how much you should be exercising according to your age and weight. Most importantly, set some realistic goals for yourself so you have something to strive towards.
Making a major lifestyle change is a serious undertaking, so the most important tip of all is to stay motivated. There will be moments of weakness, but you can acheive your goals if you always meet them with moments of strength. Cheers to a healthier New Year!